I would like to share my views and opinions on the ethics of time travel and whether ultimately it is a goal humanity should aspire to achieve. To do this I have constructed a pros and cons table, my main goal of this thread is to get a debate rolling based on the ethical values and principles of Time Travel. I am curious as to people's ideas as I predict they will be quite measurably different.
* Unlocks ultimate knowledge explaining how life was up to the present
* Completely maps out all possible scientific discoveries for humankind
* Great teaching mechanism for students
* Ability to correct all mistakes and events that we desire, such as the holocaust
* Shortens the length of time between great scientific breakthroughs
* offers a view into the future and issues that will shape the future
* Creates a sluggish lazy civilization, this would occur because human kind ultimately knows everything and needs not try as their path is mapped out
* The rich hoard such time travel devices and shape the world to their views
* Political groups use these devices to manipulate the world and create a dystopia in which they see fit
* Quality of life and human existence is rendered non existent
* The prices of use of such machines would no doubly be exorbitantly high. This would create a finer line between economic classes and possibly lead to a rebellion between groups
* The country which creates the first time machine is theoretically holding a ticking time bomb, other countries if found out about such a discovery would fight with that country ultimately leading to a world war. This could end up with the destruction of the human race. ( Theoretically if the time machine was used and the future of human kind was witnessed this path should be seen, if not it could lead to speculation about a multiple reality theory)
* The affects of using the machine to traverse back into humanities past could alter the future of life for every being on earth. The judgement for such a change to be made would come down to a small radical group most likely, this group would not be acting in interest of humanity. Such changes for humanity cannot be made by singulars, this would be unethical, the choice comes down to the global populace.
* Our travel into the past could completely remove our future making human kind or even planet earth objects that never existed
* The effects of time travel could not only change the lives of the humans on earth but change trillions of possible lives across the universe
* A recession or economical crash could occur sending humanity into another dark age, possibly worse than the Wall Street crash in 1921
* The answers to all have been found and humans have no desire to continue on
* The future is seen and it is quite horrific, this would be similar to telling a person up they are going to die and when, mass panic would set in and humanity would become uncivil to say the least.
As you could imagine the list could quite literally extend for a fair few pages, I've summed up m major concerns and issues within this topic. I would now like to hear the ideas from users of the forum.