just a thought

ruthless

i had a thought and wanted to share it.

they should make car frames out of carbon fiber skin with the inside being a pressurized helium tank. i figure you can make engine parts the same way. if you made an entire car that way, it would weigh nothing. equip them with a rc sized gas engine,made of carbon fiber, and fuel dependancy issue is over. could make everything like that...

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

To some extent it would be possible. However, most composites usually have low thermal conductivity, and material properties degrade at elevated temperature. As you know, internal combustion engines become extraordinarily hot, and it is necessary to vent the heat quickly. That's why car engines have coolant running through the engine block during operation. But the effectiveness of this depends on the rate of heat transfer to the coolant.

i figure you could put a coat of fireproof paint or something similar, maybe even silicon. i know there will be alot less friction due to less weight, so the temperature would be less. automobile engines run about 160-210f, and considering the engine will be much smaller and water cooled, i guess it would work. i dont know how well heat transfers through carbon fiber though.

It's a really good idea. I like it. But usually carbon fiber composites contain resin, which conducts heat poorly. However, there are as many variations on composite compositions as you could imagine. My best advice would be to test it. Just take lots of different composite materials & run experiments on them. It would take lots of money though.

You can get a degree at anytime. It's just a matter of funding and timing.

However, I am excellent at mathematics. But I would rather be an expert at martial arts. You see the irony? :)

People always desire what they don't have. I think we're both special in our own ways. Maybe we can teach each other. :oops:

• 2 weeks later...

You could make the engine from an alloy or from beryllium. Alloys are similar to composites because they combine favorable properties that are not found in natural materials. Beryllium has good thermal and mechanical properties but is expensive. The shell of the car could be carbon fiber. But brakes depend on friction to work well, and friction increases with weight. You may lose some maneuverability by decreasing weight a lot. I'm sure someone has used composites in cars already, but it's usually possible to find better designs.