What happens to the soul during time travel?

PoisonApple

If, in fact, we humans do have a soul, what happens to one's soul during time travel? Even with the multiple-worldline/timeline theory, there will still be a slightly different version of yourself in another timeline, so does that version of yourself share the same soul? Or do we have a different soul for each version of ourselves?

Let's say the multiple-timeline theory is incorrect, and every version of yourself is the same, just in a different point in time... So does the same, single soul exist even with the two bodies? Is the soul infinite in time?

What are your thoughts on the matter? :) I'm interested in hearing your opinions!

(My apologies if this question or idea has been brought up in a previous thread...)

With respect to the multiple world theory, I believe that those other versions of yourself would have their own individual souls that add up in the afterlife, including your own, to create your one true self and soul.

In regards to the multiple-timeline theory being incorrect, I believe that the you that you'd meet in the past would have the same soul as the current you (that went time travelling), but that your future selfs soul would be different (experience-wise)than your past selfs soul because your past self hasn't experienced everything that your future self has; henceforth, your future self, while in the past, would have a different type of soul (but still the same soul) than your past self would.

(Hope that doesn't confuse you, and sorry if it does :')

What's your opinion on it?

• Like 1

I didn't want to go too far off track with this, so I kept it simple. If anyone wants to go deeper into it, we can start another thread.

Proving the existence of a soul would depend on how you choose to define it.

I would begin by listing the unique attributes of humans. These are the things that no other creatures on the planet express.

1 Concept of Self

2 Concept of Other

3 Sophisticated language

4 Awareness of Mortality

5 Morality

6 Religious Sensibilities

7 Imagination

8 The fact that we can conceptualize a soul.

If, these are considered representative of the soul, then "It's" existence can be quantified. Actual proof, apart from an overt Divine revelation, remains a matter of faith.

I didn't want to go too far off track with this, so I kept it simple. If anyone wants to go deeper into it, we can start another thread.Proving the existence of a soul would depend on how you choose to define it.

I would begin by listing the unique attributes of humans. These are the things that no other creatures on the planet express.

1 Concept of Self

2 Concept of Other

3 Sophisticated language

4 Awareness of Mortality

5 Morality

7 Imagination

If, these are considered representative of the soul, then "It's" existence can be quantified. Actual proof, apart from an overt Divine revelation, remains a matter of faith.

Well, all those things you listed just prove the existence of our brains. Those are all things it can do, among a whole lot more. The fact no other creature express all those at the same time, also just proves that our brains are unique. No souls though.

Actually, I agree with you. If we are going to start to talk about "soul", we should define it first. I've seen a number of different definitions for it and it can get confusing :rolleyes:

If, in fact, we humans do have a soul, what happens to one's soul during time travel? Even with the multiple-worldline/timeline theory, there will still be a slightly different version of yourself in another timeline, so does that version of yourself share the same soul? Or do we have a different soul for each version of ourselves?Let's say the multiple-timeline theory is incorrect, and every version of yourself is the same, just in a different point in time... So does the same, single soul exist even with the two bodies? Is the soul infinite in time?

What are your thoughts on the matter? :) I'm interested in hearing your opinions!

(My apologies if this question or idea has been brought up in a previous thread...)

With respect to the multiple world theory, I believe that those other versions of yourself would have their own individual souls that add up in the afterlife, including your own, to create your one true self and soul.In regards to the multiple-timeline theory being incorrect, I believe that the you that you'd meet in the past would have the same soul as the current you (that went time travelling), but that your future selfs soul would be different (experience-wise)than your past selfs soul because your past self hasn't experienced everything that your future self has; henceforth, your future self, while in the past, would have a different type of soul (but still the same soul) than your past self would.

(Hope that doesn't confuse you, and sorry if it does :')

What's your opinion on it?

It's kind of a harrowing thought to imagine infinite variations of oneself throughout a multiverse, making me only a particular shade on a spectrum that is virtually identical to innumerable others. Kind of like looking at your reflection when you are between two mirrors, but knowing they are all alive. Then again, it can be freeing to think of how small me and my problems really are.

As a Christian, it brings up discontent that I might not have as special a relationship with my creator if there are infinite souls. On the other hand, it makes me view God as even more powerful, having the ability to create infinite sentience, and I am reminded not to limit my thoughts on the divine. If God's power is infinite, then I can be loved just as much if there are infinite others. Wow, did I really just go that far into personal theology on TTI? I hope it will not offend here, within the context of discussions of the soul.

• Like 1

It's kind of a harrowing thought to imagine infinite variations of oneself throughout a multiverse, making me only a particular shade on a spectrum that is virtually identical to innumerable others. Kind of like looking at your reflection when you are between two mirrors, but knowing they are all alive. Then again, it can be freeing to think of how small me and my problems really are.As a Christian, it brings up discontent that I might not have as special a relationship with my creator if there are infinite souls. On the other hand, it makes me view God as even more powerful, having the ability to create infinite sentience, and I am reminded not to limit my thoughts on the divine. If God's power is infinite, then I can be loved just as much if there are infinite others. Wow, did I really just go that far into personal theology on TTI? I hope it will not offend here, within the context of discussions of the soul.

This is going to bring out the froo-froo spiritualist in me...

I recall reading an idea about how there's only a single consciousness, and that everyone is basically the manifestation of a different branch attached to the same trunk. There's you, then the other "yous" that exist throughout the multiverse (if it exists), which in turn are all stemmed from the higher "you", which exists in a separate plane or dimension. It's a sort of "turtles all the way down" kind ofidea, except in this case it's turtles all the way up.

Eventually all of these branches and whatnot converge to the single entity that is consciousness.

Again, this is getting in to some froo-froo non-scientific thinking, but I liked the idea of it when I read it and it stuck with me. My thinking is that if you encountered yourself, you'd just be two reflections of the same thing.

• Like 1

It's kind of a harrowing thought to imagine infinite variations of oneself throughout a multiverse, making me only a particular shade on a spectrum that is virtually identical to innumerable others. Kind of like looking at your reflection when you are between two mirrors, but knowing they are all alive. Then again, it can be freeing to think of how small me and my problems really are.As a Christian, it brings up discontent that I might not have as special a relationship with my creator if there are infinite souls. On the other hand, it makes me view God as even more powerful, having the ability to create infinite sentience, and I am reminded not to limit my thoughts on the divine. If God's power is infinite, then I can be loved just as much if there are infinite others. Wow, did I really just go that far into personal theology on TTI? I hope it will not offend here, within the context of discussions of the soul.

Although I'm not a Christian, I feel the same way. But I feel that there can only be one soul of yourself, because infinite souls of the self seems too unrealistic because, when would it stop being infinite and become just one soul? I also believe the science behind the multiple world theory. It's all so confusing because the multiple world theory contradicts religion... But then again, when hasn't religion and science had contradictions :confused:

Mind boggling indeed.

I'll have to add, how would you even say that you are the same person when you were younger? I have been in quite a life through the years that I can't say I'm the same as my toddler self. It's not because of the amount of knowledge I have now, it's who I choose to become. If we say this is true that I am different from who I was back then, therefore we have to say that our soul is different on each thin timeslice. What I'm saying is, the soul might not be restraint by time, otherwise this would be the case.

I think that soul resides in a different dimension that is out of the reach of space time, and it interacts with our mind so we can have consciousness and such. Maybe personalities are a product of the mind? I mean personalities are affected by time as well.

• Like 2

I didn't want to go too far off track with this, so I kept it simple. If anyone wants to go deeper into it, we can start another thread.Proving the existence of a soul would depend on how you choose to define it.

1 Concept of Self

2 Concept of Other

3 Sophisticated language

4 Awareness of Mortality

5 Morality

7 Imagination

I agree with Nicolas. The 8 points you've outlined could just prove the uniqueness of the human brain.

I would be inclined to examine/investigate reincarnation. Even though buddhists do not believe in a soul (eternal or otherwise) there are others who believe that at death, the soul moves onto another body. There have been numerous stories of children who remember details of past lives. They allegedley have memories of the places/countries they "previously" lived in, memories of family members, employment details etc. Most importantly, they have memories of "their" actual death in a prior life. If scientific test/research could determine the authenticity of these stories, then I suggest that it would also prove the existence of a transmigratory soul.

• Like 1

I agree with Nicolas. The 8 points you've outlined could just prove the uniqueness of the human brain.I would be inclined to examine/investigate reincarnation. Even though buddhists do not believe in a soul (eternal or otherwise) there are others who believe that at death, the soul moves onto another body. There have been numerous stories of children who remember details of past lives. They allegedley have memories of the places/countries they "previously" lived in, memories of family members, employment details etc. Most importantly, they have memories of "their" actual death in a prior life. If scientific test/research could determine the authenticity of these stories, then I suggest that it would also prove the existence of a transmigratory soul.

I've heard of these stories before. I do know that kids will invent the most crazy stories, for whatever reason. Even better if the adults start giving them attention, bring in cameras and whatnot. Also, who knows how are these kids being influenced behind cameras by said adults? It wouldn't be the first time I tell you that...

Have you guys heard of that boy who wrote a book on how he went to heaven during a two month coma? Well, he just admitted it being a lie. I know the circumstances are different from boys remebering past life, but it's a nice example of what kids can do for attention.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2015/01/15/boy-who-came-back-from-heaven-going-back-to-publisher/

Anyway, I don't remember seeing any scientific study on them... This could be worth the research. I'll look it up.

This is going to bring out the froo-froo spiritualist in me...I recall reading an idea about how there's only a single consciousness, and that everyone is basically the manifestation of a different branch attached to the same trunk. There's you, then the other "yous" that exist throughout the multiverse (if it exists), which in turn are all stemmed from the higher "you", which exists in a separate plane or dimension. It's a sort of "turtles all the way down" kind ofidea, except in this case it's turtles all the way up.

Eventually all of these branches and whatnot converge to the single entity that is consciousness.

Again, this is getting in to some froo-froo non-scientific thinking, but I liked the idea of it when I read it and it stuck with me. My thinking is that if you encountered yourself, you'd just be two reflections of the same thing.

Turtles all the way up - love it, haha! I had forgotten about turtles all the way down. Seriously, though, I like the ideas you recall. Who's to say it isn't so? To think that I am a reflection of something greater is certainly a positive thought and also one that aligns with Abrahamic backgrounds in Genisis' made-in-the-image-of mentality. Congrats on embracing your froo froo, lol. Just a different "lens" on the universe than science, imho...

Although I'm not a Christian, I feel the same way. But I feel that there can only be one soul of yourself, because infinite souls of the self seems too unrealistic because, when would it stop being infinite and become just one soul? I also believe the science behind the multiple world theory. It's all so confusing because the multiple world theory contradicts religion... But then again, when hasn't religion and science had contradictions :confused:

Interesting thoughts here! Your emoji says it all. And while science and religion can outwardly seem at odds on so much, I genuinely think that it needn't be so. Thoughts such as the ones Cosmo relayed above can serve to reconcile or bridge ideas between the two disciplines. They can have common ground and coexist peacefully in the same way that Economics, Engineering, Philosophy, etc. do. When any "way of understanding" becomes overly dogmatic, I believe that we limit ourselves from deeper understanding.

• Like 1