The Death of Math

Einstein

I've pointed this out before in numerous threads from the past. The educational community has successfully destroyed the language of math. Present generation math students will no longer be capable of interpreting math from previous generations. Calculus is in shambles. But in the following video a demonstration is given showing the attack on multiplication and division. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=URcUvFIUIhQ

• Like 1

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I did the problem based on the way I was taught to in school. I came up with "1" as the correct answer. But I was taught this in 1971. Yet the narrator would have you believe that this method was used prior and up to 1917 text books. The method in use today gives a correct answer of "9". The language of Math is no longer clear and concise.

Even in view of the Order of Operations-- 'BODMAS' (see below),

http://www.mathsisfun.com/operation-order-bodmas.html

least ambiguous and, therefore, preferential is the following:

(6/2)(1+2) = 9

Nonetheless, to avoid unnecessary confusion, therein the above URL is the useful mnemonic device following:

How Do I Remember It All ... ? BODMAS !

Brackets first

Orders (i.e. Powers and Square Roots, etc.)

Division and Multiplication (left-to-right)

Addition and Subtraction (left-to-right)

That is, when operations are put on par with one another, one is to revert to reading left to right. Still, because not all languages are read left to right, and because mathematics is considered The Universal Language, I still maintain that the above equation ought be standard.

spacer.png

I did the problem based on the way I was taught to in school. I came up with "1" as the correct answer. But I was taught this in 1971. Yet the narrator would have you believe that this method was used prior and up to 1917 text books. The method in use today gives a correct answer of "9". The language of Math is no longer clear and concise.

It's this common core b.s. 

• Like 1

If we have any events and facts so it easy to interpreted it by math.

Easy to calculate any variable parameters.

I disagree. Anyone educated with the methods used by the educational community today will be at a great disadvantage. I doubt a simple orbital calculation would be possible using today's math. Everyone is be educated with math that doesn't work.

I've pointed this out before in numerous threads from the past. The educational community has successfully destroyed the language of math. Present generation math students will no longer be capable of interpreting math from previous generations. Calculus is in shambles. But in the following video a demonstration is given showing the attack on multiplication and division. 

I had a Math professor who constantly complained how student these days did not understand mathematical rigor of the old days. He stated the students were to dependent on calculators for answers and all of his math journals were reducing the difficultly of the math. Great man and amazing teacher.

• Like 1

Simple math for incoming.

IF A>C

and

IF B> C

Your answer in 4 boxws

1   A>B

2   B>A

3   A=B

4   I do not know

What number  is correct answer?

This is just your average multiple guess test. It makes you wonder how the writers of the test got their qualifications. Since none of the answers are correct.

Had Seesaw asked, "What number is the best answer,"

the correct answer would be #4 based upon insufficient information.

Provided such tests in advanced math, 

an idiot might sooner prove smarter than a genius.

The latter would take longer looking for a trick question

where into he would read overmuch.

[...] An "all of the above" choice would also be acceptable [...] 

False, because both answers 1 and 2 cannot be correct.

The question wasn't "If A > C and B > C, what is true about A and B?"

wherefore the correct answer would be "A > B or  A < B."

And, though I was jesting, 

I do  believe it best to admit the truth

when there is something I either don't or cannot know.

• Like 1

False, because both answers 1 and 2 cannot be correct.

The question wasn't "If A > C and B > C, what is true about A and B?"

wherefore the correct answer would be "A > B or  A < B."

And, though I was jesting, 

I do  believe it best to admit the truth

when there is something I either don't or cannot know.

You are correct in that the answers can't be correct at the same time. But individually each answer satisfies the original query. That is why I listed them all.

You are correct in that the answers can't be correct at the same time. But individually each answer satisfies the original query. That is why I listed them all.

Actually, while one need only know

both answers 1 and 2 cannot be correct

to rule out the possibility that 1 through 3 are all correct, the fact that any of the answers could be true rules out all but the last answer, i.e. if there is no way for one to know; then s/he doesn't know.

And that's only hard for a genius to admit, no?