Is Pi infinite

sergiuspaulus

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

“π is infinite.” It’s not. It’s a finite number, greater than 2 and less than 4. If you square π, same thing. Not infinite. Greater than 1, less than 2.

I would like to see your line of reasoning on that. Since the exact value goes on forever and is defined as an irrational number. It doesn't represent length. It is just a ratio.

• Like 1

I would like to see your line of reasoning on that. Since the exact value goes on forever and is defined as an irrational number. It doesn't represent length. It is just a ratio.

Asked someone better with math than I, and RT's answer was :

Pi~3.14159 Pi^2 is ~ 9.869

Clearly the number is not infinite. The confusion seems to be that the decimal does not terminate

Pi is irrational.

That is the correct description

"infinite" only refers to whether the decimal terminates, which it does not

Hence the reason for the term irrational

Infinity is not even a number proper. Tis only conceptual. Pi is definitely NOT infinite. But it is irrational.

It's decimal representation cannot be portrayed exactly. That does not make the number itself infinite.

Since SIN(Pi/2) == 1.0

True definition of Pi= 2*ArcSIN(1.0)

The math whiz folks probably understand that far better than I.

• Like 3

How do you terminate infinity? In computer progress we used to use terminators when we had to daisy chain. Why the terminator. Time is not in an hourglass. It’s not on a clock or atomic clock. Chicago museum has a earth rotation influenced pendulum. Is that pendulum accurate. A quantum computer said they reversed time a fraction a year or two ago. So what is true time. Is a particle of time round, where pi exists?

The number pi has always fascinated me. I always thought that there must be something special about a number that goes on forever in decimals. Is it a code to unlock? Why is 22 / 7 a close cousin? Although I am not a math whiz, I often wondered if the number could be used to calculate circumferences of a spiral.

Edited by m0nique23

It’s not a spiral. It’s called a helix. DNA is a double helix. Telomeres control aging process. Regenerative Research is the study of regeneration of life. I have never watched “The Life of Pi” due to close friend who passed. The first 5 minutes of the movie went off script for me. It was too hard. Maybe soon.

Things to ask pi. Do you want to live forever? If yes live with consequences. Do you want to see forever ? If yes live with consequences. Do you want Total Recall? If yes live with consequences. Do you want XYZ coordinates? If yes live with consequences. Perspective is a clue to life. In photography 4x6 is full frame of negative. Now with digital we have any shape of image but limited frame shapes. Polaroid was square. That was early photography. Now we have digital squares. Here is a golden pond. (Movie title)

5DC281DE-7ACA-4A69-9897-A9403E59250E.thumb.jpeg.d6f4b6a05ed57e92c5b3eaab1eac9566.jpeg