Cartography and Navigation

Alamo127

I have a question (by the way this leads to other things) if you are on an island and everyone is working on making a boat (but they don't know how) who is working on a map or figuring out how to navigate the waters? Once the boat is built, are they floating in circles going no where, or do we have a direction and a goal? How do you do it if you have never been off the island and never driven a boat (if one is ever built)?

Edited by Alamo127
Present to past tense error

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

The above is an analogy, the present is the island, and the boat is the time machine.

In a boat you point where you want to go and row yourself there, but in a time machine I don't think you can point to another time and go (I mean it's not one dimension). On the boat, you use the island you are leaving as a reference point and navigate. In a time machine what do you use as a reference point and how do you navigate (use the sun, planets, and stars as a reference)?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Alamo127 said:

The above is an analogy, the present is the island, and the boat is the time machine.

In a boat you point where you want to go and row yourself there, but in a time machine I don't think you can point to another time and go (I mean it's not one dimension). On the boat, you use the island you are leaving as a reference point and navigate. In a time machine what do you use as a reference point and how do you navigate (use the sun, planets, and stars as a reference)?

Greetings,

You would want to use a spot on the CMB for your temporal reference frame & stars for your spatial. 

When the universe was young,the CMB was really hot. Over time it has cooled off & will continue to cool (as the universe expands).
The temperature of the chosen spot on the CMB will give you a good indication of when you are in relationship to the big bang.

To figure out your spatial orientation you'd need to observe the local stars or distant clusters around you. 
-Oz

3 minutes ago, Alamo127 said:

Interesting, so the island would be using the constant cosmic microwave background electromagnetic radiation expansion. The entropy expansion shows the age of the current time. I wonder how this radiation changes daily. Is there a record out there of the daily change (maybe NASA has one)?

If the temperature of the CMB was able to be calculated with infinite precision, then daily changes in temperature due to expansion would be usable...but we're quite far away from that kind of technology. CMB is best used as a really broad "What sector of the multiverse am I in?" on the scales of thousands / millions / billions of years.

Really you'd need more than one reference frame if there's no AI assistance. Us humans really have trouble with it on our own. Something like the decay of a familiar supermassive blackhole would work. If you've got bearings on local stars like Beetleguise you could use their decay as a reference frame for a closer year. 

-Oz

NASA, recorded the electromagnetic waves/signals being generated by several celestial objects, which includes the Sun, and the planets.   They used a conversion process to make the recorded waves audible for us to be able to hear them.  What is interesting, and I feel that these emissions, can be used for interstellar navigation ( maybe even temporal navigation ) , since each object emits their own unique signature. 

Saturn : 

https://www.nasa.gov/wav/123163main_cas-skr1-112203.wav

Miscellaneous celestial recordings:

https://www.nasa.gov/vision/universe/features/halloween_sounds.html

• Like 1

Looked online and I found this information. If you create a series of experiments that always work on your universe the farther you travel from your universe the least likely these experiments will work. For example the gravitational constant, it would change in a different universe; maybe slower or faster depending how far you are from your origin universe.

Rambling on, going back to the idea of being on an island and building a boat to leave. The island being the "present" and the boat being the "time machine", what I left out is you would be blindfolded the whole time. Why blindfolded, at the moment, physics can't see "time" as a vector only as a scalar and traveling only to the future. Removing the blindfold would require physics to see "time" as a vector which would gain the ability to travel forward and backwards in "time".

Cartography update, I need to create an 4d plane map using the solar system starting with a few days, then weeks, so on. Last, I'm going to use quaternion number system to organize the map. 

Edited by Alamo127

So I figured that I will use octonions to create my time map. I have a lot of homework to do... why octonions, special relativity uses quaternions and the next step is octonions. Someone posted an expansion of special relativity, in this site, using some sort of time dilation. I'm going to use that on my time map.